GF for 7 days! Join us….
2014 is bringing on a Gluten-Free Challenge.
We have had over 90 people participate in these challenges in the past and hope that even more will join us for this one! Are you ready??
We want this week to be about what we CAN eat and include in our diets and not all about what we CAN’T eat!
This will be 7 days of learning about what you are eating, trying different and healthier options to for yourself and your families and bringing awareness to something that should be pleasant for us all and not such a struggle for so many (nourishing our bodies and enjoying our food).
To establish new habits, you must make a conscious DECISION, become AWARE, DISCIPLINE yourself, and be CONSISTENT over TIME! If you do these simple things, you will succeed.
7 Day Gluten Free Challenge: May 5 – 11th
First thing is first; what is gluten? Gluten: a substance present in cereal grains especially wheat, which is responsible for the elastic texture of dough. A mixture of two proteins, it causes illness in people with celiac disease. Gluten is in anything made from wheat, rye, or barley; but is also in some less obvious products, such as lunch meats and soy sauce!
Throughout the next week, we will focus on
- what you CAN eat
- different ways that gluten can affect your body and why
- allergies and disease vs. intolerance
- new recipes
- hidden ingredients on food labels
This challenge is for YOU! If you are going to join us, you must complete the following by this Saturday, 5/3:
- Subscribe to the Fit Envy blog here http://fitenvync.wordpress.com/blog/
- When we receive an email confirming your subscription, you will get a follow up email stating “I’m ready to go GF!”
- Any questions, comments, concerns can be posted in the comments section or directly emailed to Lindsey@FitEnvyNC.com
Tips and guidelines for the challenge:
- Start by looking through your kitchen to identify what items are GF and which ones you can eat next week and those that you need to stay away from.
- Keep in mind that just because it says “gluten free” does not mean it is a healthy choice. BUT, there are MANY gluten free options in grocery stores now that make this way of eating easier for everyone.
- You want to concentrate on eating foods with ONE word and one ingredient (ie – egg, fish, tomato, avocado) for the most part.
- You will be reading your labels with this challenge!! If you are eating anything from a box (ie – cereal or brown rice pasta) a good general rule is to make sure there are 5 ingredients or less on the label – ALL of which you can pronounce.
- Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. If you need assistance with this, let us know! Lindsey loves hosting grocery store tours locally.
- Watch for hidden sources of gluten on your food labels. First thing is to look for wheat, barley or rye. Also be on the lookout for words like bulgur, durum, malt vinegar, semolina……we will be posting a more comprehensive list once we get started.
- If you are eating out, ask the question!! Do you have a GF menu? Which items on the menu are GF? Many restaurants cater to this eating style and are willing to help, but you have to ask. And if there is no GF option, you are likely in the McDonalds drive thru – leave immediately!
- If you have a great GF recipe, please comment and share on the Fit Envy blog for everyone to enjoy!!