More on the Glue…
If you haven’t heard, this week is all about gluten (the GLUE in your food); where it exists in your kitchen, what it can do to your health, how to eat out GF and ways to decrease or eliminate it from your diet.
Here is a quick read on reasons that gluten can be potentially harmful to your health. 6 Shocking Reasons Why Gluten is Bad
Additionally, watch for gluten hidden in items like:
- Soy sauce – main ingredient is wheat
- Breads, wraps, muffins, pitas, flat breads
- Broth, soup, soup bases
- Cookies and crackers
- Some chocolates or chocolate bars
- Flavored coffees and teas
- Imitation foods like bacon bits or seafood
- Medications (check with your pharmacist)
- Salad dressings!! Make your own – they are easy to make and much tastier
- Processed meats – sausages, hot dogs, deli meats
- Sauces, marinades, gravies
If you have the flexibility of cooking at home for lunch, here is a great gluten-free recipe that I had today:
2 poached eggs served over spinach, sliced tomato, and onion. Season with pink Himalayan salt, pepper and a dash of turmeric. Serve with 1/2 a sweet potato topped with 1 tbsp crumbled goat cheese.
Day 1 – please share your thoughts, questions, comments, own experiences…..