1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 T butter
2 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups low sodium chicken stock
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon sea salt & pepper
2 carrots, chopped
1 large potato, cut into small bite-sized cubes
4 cups broccoli florets
1 cup half-and-half OR full-fat coconut milk (for non-dairy option)
- In a large pot, sauté onion, garlic, celery, and bell pepper in butter and oil over moderately low heat until softened.
- Add stock, seasonings, bay leaf, carrots, and potato and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
- Transfer 2 cups of the solids with a slotted spoon to a blender, add half and half and puree OR use an immersion blender.
- Return puree to the pot.
- Add broccoli and simmer for 1 hour. Discard bay leaf.
- Season to taste and serve hot.
**Add desired toppings: diced jalapeño, cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon.**