Which team do you want to win? Will you be heading to a party? Better question, what can you take to enjoy eating during the game?
Superbowl. Each year we gather, hoping that the following Monday was a day off of school and work. If your team is playing, you are super excited to watch the game! If not, you are probably more excited about the food, drinks and social time.
Regardless, this gathering does not have to blow your diet! Hopefully you have worked hard all week to eat well, exercise and take care of your body…why blow it all in one afternoon?
Try these 5 easy tips for success:
- DO NOT go to your Superbowl party hungry! Have a balanced snack before you leave or before everyone transcends on your family room.
- If you choose to drink alcohol, for every alcoholic beverage you consume, drink a glass of water! This will only better prepare you for that alarm clock on Monday morning.
- Do not stand around the food table. Get a plate of your favorites and move on.
- Chew gum.
- Make a healthy dish to share so that you know there is at least ONE thing there you can eat!
AND 4 simple snacks that kids and adults can both enjoy:
- Air popped pop-corn – drizzle with olive oil and sea salt. The BEST way to mix is with your own clean hands. Top with cinnamon or cayenne pepper, depending on what flavor you are going for.
- Make your own trail mix: Cheerios, sunflower seeds, almonds, dried cranberries, pistachios, dark chocolate chips.
- Veggies and hummus or guacamole!
- Fruit tray with peanut butter yogurt dip (1/4 cup natural PB, ½ cup Greek yogurt and 1 tsp vanilla)
Artichoke dip – serve with veggies
- ·1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- ·1/2 cup mayonnaise (avocado mayo is the best choice)
- ·1/2 cup cream cheese
- ·3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ·1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella, divided
- ·1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- ·1/2 teaspoon pepper
- ·1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- ·1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 350°. Combine the artichokes, mayonnaise, cream cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan, 3/4 cup mozzarella, garlic salt, pepper, scallions, and parsley in a bowl; transfer to baking dish. Top with remaining Parmesan and mozzarella; bake 20–30 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
White Bean Dip – serve with veggies or organic blue chips
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 chopped red pepper
- ½ chopped sweet onion
- ½ cup reduced fat feta cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Greek seasoning
- Salt & pepper
Mix all ingredients together and serve.
Black Bean Dip – serve with chips or celery
- 1 can of low sodium black beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 chopped avocado
- 1 cup of frozen corn – thawed
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
- For extra spice, add chopped jalapeño
Mix all together. Let sit for at least 30 minutes and serve.
Enjoy the game!!